Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Lesson from Chinese Checkers

I visited with my oldest daughter and her family last week. The plans were for me to keep her four children while she attended a conference with her husband. Two of the children became sick the night before I was to go, so my daughter needed to stay home with them. I went anyway to help her in any way I could.

I played a number of games with my grandchildren and had several opportunities to make spiritual applications. As we were playing Chinese checkers, my grandson, my daughter and I were methodically moving our marbles in a direct path towards the other side by moving one step at a time or jumping one or more marbles to move several places at once, always keeping our "home" in mind. My three year old granddaughter, however, moved at will, either several places at once or in a direction other than her opposite "home". The three of us made it "home" in an orderly fashion, but her marbles ended up all over the board with few of them making it to "home". Of course, as she gets older, she will learn to play this game.

I did think, though, about how we go through life. When you notice someone going about erratically, making unwise choices, misstepping repeatedly, you have to wonder if that person will ever make it "home". The Bible tells us in Psalm 37 that the steps of a righteous man are ordered by God. One evidence of our salvation, even though we misstep in sin, is that we don't exhibit habitual erratic behavior. We can see our steps are headed towards "home". We are told in Proverbs 3:5-6 to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." Herein lies the key to being methodical and orderly in our journey.

1 Peter 2:21 tells us, "For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps." We will certainly arrive at "home" with our journey being direct and orderly if we follow in the steps of our Lord and Savior.

No comments: