Thursday, February 12, 2009

Home

I don't know of anyone who doesn't like to be at home. Usually, the first comment from someone in the hospital is, "I just want to go home." The soldier does his duty but constantly thinks of going home. I love visiting my family, but it is so sweet to walk through my front door and know that I will be sleeping in my own bed that night.

Jacob was a stranger living in Egypt. When he was close to death, he made his children promise to bury him in the land of Canaan, home. Naomi wanted to leave Moab after her husband and sons died and return home to the land of Judah. Ruth chose to leave her home in Moab and make a new home with Naomi among her people.

Psalm 68:6 tells us that "God makes a home for the lonely..." Paul indicates in 2 Corinthians 5:6,8 that this world is not our home. He says that "while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord...and we prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. There is an old gospel song that says, "this world is not my home, I'm just passin' through."

As the media, our government and even many churches are turning more and more away from the things of God and choosing a path that may seem right to them but leads only to destruction, I am becoming more homesick for my eternal home. I long for that time, when there will be no time, when I can see my Savior face to face, worship my God in His unveiled glory and be reunited with all my family in Christ Jesus. Yes, I think I will be ready to go home.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

I always love hearing what God has to say through you. Hope you're feeling better!

Debey Epps said...

I too long for home everytime I see evidence of sin in this world (death, illness, consequences of sin).