Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Bible Way

When my sister and I were growing up, my mother and daddy often used scripture in correcting us. One day my dad reminded my sister what the Bible said about a particular action of hers. She stomped her foot and said, "I know but I'm not going the Bible way in this." I wonder how often we choose not to go the Bible way.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us that "All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work." It seems that this verse speaks volumes about why we should go the Bible way. It provides us with God's instructions on how we are to live, His rebuke for not following these instructions, and His guidance back to right behavior when we fail. God's word provides training in godliness and equips us to be and do what God intended.

Psalm 119:105 tells us that God's word "is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path." This illumination by God's word keeps us on the path of righteousness and away from that path spoken of in Proverbs that "seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death."

To choose the Bible way we must spend time studying and knowing the Bible. The Psalmist said the godly man avoids association with evil but rather "his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night." I know for a fact that being in the word allows for reproof, for correction and for the training in righteousness I so desparately need. It also prepares me to always be ready to give an account for the hope that is in me.

Well, as I go to my chair by the window with my Bible and my cup of coffee, I pray that this day I will choose the Bible way in all my words and thoughts and actions.

No comments: