Monday, February 2, 2009

For Our Sanctification

I have the privilege of praying for several friends who are going through trials right now. One has a serious health issue. One is going through job loss and financial challenges and one is dealing with a wayward child. None of these friends asked to be in her particular situation, yet God has chosen to place them there at this time.

James 1:2 tells us to "consider it all joy..." when we have trials of various kinds. Now I don't know about you, but rejoicing is not my natural response to troubles and trials. I think most of us as believers must consciously decide to react with joy when faced with trials. The verse further says, "knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance." God brings testing into our lives for a purpose. 1Peter 1:6-7 tells us, "In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith ...even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;" We know from Romans 8:28 that God works all things for good to those of us who are called according to His purpose.

Therefore, trials, the testing of our faith, does several things. It assures us we belong to God; it strengthens our faith; it teaches us endurance and steadfastness; and it brings us closer to the time we will be able to praise, glorify and honor Christ at His second coming.

The sanctification process is not without pain, but oh, the end results. Just think, through this process, God has chosen to bring you closer to Himself, to know Him more intimately and to more closely resemble His Son, Jesus Christ. What an honor! I read once about a female missionary who had been kidnapped, raped and tortured and left for dead. When rescued, she was asked about her experience. Her comments were that she was thankful God had felt she was worthy in His sight of this testing. Whew!

Amy Carmichael says in her little book, If, "If I wonder why something trying is allowed, and press for prayer that it may be removed; if I cannot be trusted with any disappointment, and cannot go on in peace under any mystery, then I know nothing of Calvary love."

Father God, thank You for the times you have chosen to test my faith, sanctifying me for my good and for Your glory. Help me to truly consider it all joy when trials come, and to come out on the other side refined, with much of the dross burned away. Thank you for choosing to justify me through the work of Christ at Calvary, to sanctify me through the testing of my faith and one day, to bring me to the glory of Your presence in heaven.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Thanks, Mom. God knew I needed to be reminded of those promises that trials lead to our sanctification and His glory! Thanks for praying for us as we wait!