Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Heeding Warnings

The storm sirens went off multiple times last Friday and Saturday. I have heard many express their annoyance at these repetitive warnings when the threat didn't materialize. Yes, it was particularly inconvenient for those in institutions caring for children or the elderly. It was inconvenient to continually check to determine if the storm was imminent or merely possible. It was inconvenient to head to our "safe place" one more time.

I remember the time when there was no warning system. I remember when the system was less sophisticated and the warning sounded only when a tornado was spotted in the area and possibly right upon us. Then it was almost too late. I remember eight years ago when a storm with straight line winds of 100 miles per hour came through our town without warning, caught me in my car out on the highway, and blew five large trees down on my house causing great damage.

Warnings are often unpleasant, inconvenient and often not applicable. Most of the product warnings nowadays don't apply to me because I don't use most of the products named. However, I don't need to allow my sensibilities to these to become dull and unresponsive. The very next warning could seriously impact me.

I'm studying Isaiah. I think the Old Testament prophets were probably looked upon by some then as the tornado sirens were last week - as an annoyance, often causing an angry reaction. The prophets were ignored by many, just as were the sirens. When Isaiah began his vineyard parable in Isaiah 5, many of those to whom the message was given did not have a clue he was preaching to them. Their sensibilities had become dulled. Then in verse 7, the "radar" zoomed in when Isaiah identified Israel and Judah as the definite, without a doubt targets for the warning. The next verse begins the "woes". The storm of God's judgment was coming and Israel and Judah were in the path.

God's word is full of warnings that are as applicable for us today as they were over two thousand years ago. We can choose to ignore, to be annoyed, to be angry, or to have no reaction at all. Or, we can choose to heed the warnings and find our safe place of blessing and peace in repentance and obedience to God's will.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

This is SO good, Mom! I'm going to use it in my SS class Sunday. How can you be profound at 5:50 a.m.? What am I saying, you've always tried to be profound early in the morning!