Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Fall

Recently I fell on the concrete in my driveway while putting away toys my grandchildren had been using. I didn't fall gracefully. I landed on both knees then toppled over awkwardly. It was not a pretty sight. And it hurt. I had to sit some moments squeezing my eyes tightly and biting my lip. Finally I was able to get up, go inside and share my humiliation with my husband, my daughters and all my grandchildren. The grands were fascinated and wanted to see Grandmama's skinned knees.

The knees were very sore and messy and oozy for some days. Then the scab began to form. Now the knees felt some better but still tender and developing an ugly dark thick scab. Eventually this began to go away and was looking like my knee again, but it was still a little tender. After many weeks, this healing process seemed to be completed, but I noticed something interesting and little disturbing. I have a scar. Now it may lessen with time but it looks as though this is what my knee is going to look like. How much better it would have been if I had never fallen.

Those two paragraphs were written to make my spiritual application. Sin is painful, humiliating, messy and awkward. Because God's word tells me if I confess my sins God is faithful and just to forgive me, I know my sins won't be fatal. However, the healing process may be long, with pain lasting for a while, possibly forever. In many cases, the scars of sin will last a lifetime. How much better it would be if I avoid those sins that will pain and ooze and scar.

1John 2:1 says, "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin." We are not powerless against sin. Romans 6:14 tells us, "For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace." The Holy Spirit within us gives the power to avoid the fall into sin, the injury of sin, and, ultimately the scars of sin.

1 comment:

Debey Epps said...

Amen, amen, amen! Oh, if I would never sin, I would never have the scars and consequences. But just like I am clumsy a lot and physically fall down...I am also spiritually clumsy and have many, many scars to show for it. Like Paul, I wonder why I do what I don't want to do, and what I want to do, I don't do...