Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Correction

As I was hurriedly typing in Microsoft Word the other day, I kept getting words underlined in red. Of course this meant I had misspelled, so I had to go back and correct. The Holy Spirit is our "red underline" when we misstep in our daily walk. If we are sensitive to His leading, we will note that check in our spirit, tug by our conscience or the recall of convicting scripture. In Job 37, Elihu describes some things that God might use for correction. 2 Timothy 3:16 tells that God's word is for correction. Jeremiah 5:3 tells of a stiff neck, rebellious people who refuse to take correction.

As I type and have words underlined in red, I can choose to go back and correct or I can finish my document with misspelled words. Someone reading it will notice that I have misspelled words. These will distract and my document will not be as effective as it would have been had I made the corrections. The same is true with our lives. We cannot serve and glorify our God effectively if we allow sins in our lives to go unconfessed and uncorrected. David said in Psalm 51, "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin." May this be our constant prayer today as we walk in the power of the Holy Spirit, sensitive to His correction.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Thank you for your sweet, encouraging words. How grateful I am that God doesn't let us remain in our sin! Keep praying for my baby girl. She's having a "lay on the couch" day!