Tuesday, January 20, 2009

God's Faithfulness to the Unfaithful

As I have begun reading the Bible through again this year, I note with dismay, once again, how many times in the first few chapters of Genesis God's chosen ones take matters into their own hands. They obviously did not trust God to do His work as He had promised He would. The consequences of these actions affect history to this day. Of course I believe in a sovereign God who works His plan in all things for His glory. But the point is, in most cases they failed to wait on the Lord.

God promised Abraham progeny as numerous as the stars in the sky. Sarah thought God needed her help so she persuaded Abraham to take her servant and produce his heir with her. The rest of that story is certainly much history. Abraham and Sarah also lied about their relationship, not trusting God to protect them in a foreign land. God used a godless king to rebuke them.

Rebekah obviously thought God needed some help with establishing Jacob's birthright. She and Jacob deceived Issac and we know the consequences of that action. Jacob ended up being deceived by Laban into marrying Leah.

How many times have I "helped" God and to what end. Thankfully, as we know from the stories above and as I know from my own history, God remains faithful when we are faithless. God continues to work in our lives for our good and His glory.

Father, God, help me to remain faithful to You, waiting for you to do the work in my life that will ultimately bless me and glorify You.

1 comment:

Debey Epps said...

Oh, yeah...you are definitely preaching to the choir here. Many times I grab things into my grubby little sinful hands instead of patiently waiting for my Lord (who of course knows much more about any given situation than I). I have been making an intentional effort to open my hands and keep them open. I KNOW He is faithful as He has proven time and time again. But...I believe, Lord help my unbelief. As anyone who knows anything about me knows...we have had some "trying" times over the last few years. There is much more that most do not know. But one thing I'm sure of....to the extent that I have survived and prospered through all the circumstances of my life, it is ALL a work of my faithful God Almighty. He is so good to gently pry my hands away from the problem even while they are holding on to it. Then he fills those open hands with such wonderful love and peace. Thanks be to God! Debey