Monday, January 26, 2009

The Blessings of Morning

The day still lies hidden behind a blanket of darkness. Nighttime seems reluctant to release its hold. As I look, however, the sky is a shade lighter than it was five minutes ago. When the process does start, it seems to move rapidly into full blown morning with the sun glowing brightly in the east, birds singing, and the crescendo of traffic noises indicating this is going to be a typical day in the city.

I, too, am reluctant to give up this quiet time, to close my Bible, to say one last amen, and to quit this special time with my Father. I know that soon someone and then more someones along with myriad tasks will begin to take bits then chunks of my time, my mental resources and my physical and emotional energy. I don’t begrudge that. It is the way each day is structured, and I actually go gladly to it. However, I so very much cherish these moments that are tucked between the restfulness of night and the busyness of day. I have, in fact, come to depend on them as preparation for those predictable things that will take place this day and, more importantly, for those things that come unexpectedly, packaged either as serendipity that will bring a smile to my face or in torn, dirty wrappings that will challenge my strength, my faith, my witness.

On numerous occasions, Jesus communed alone with His Father in the morning. The psalmist said, “In the morning, O, Lord, You hear my voice, in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation.” The most important discovery of all time – the empty tomb – was made just after sunrise.

So, I will continue to come early each day to my chair by the window, with my cup of coffee, my Bible, and my heart hopefully tuned to what the Father may have for me. I will enjoy the time when night still clutches its blanket of darkness, but I will also greet the dawn, knowing that my God, through His grace, has supplied all that I need for this day.

No comments: